Developed by Radhakrishnan Subbuduraisamy
Field: Sustainable development
Theme: Collective fellowship
Time Period: Jan 2020 to Dec 2022
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org / +919789840630
Areas of Interest: To develop creative solutions to address the problems in sustainable development.
Few significant works:
- Participated in community based environment development program (CBED) with CMDA in which community participation is the highlight. Made the community understand their stake in the local environmental assets and involved them in the CBED program. Associated in Pond renovation, Park development, Stormwater development & Burial ground development projects in the suburban regions of Chennai. Documented the whole project on behalf of the local body. (From the year 2005 - 2010)
- Urban school program titled 'Environmental education for sustainable development' was designed and implemented in a few Chennai schools. Inculcating values in school level is vital. (From the Year 2008-10)
- Conceptualized 'Critical mass production', a prolific way of individual's production to meet their personal demands. Self-reliance is the key idea. The model plantation was done in four villages near Singaperumal Koil near Chengalpattu. The plantation includes fruit-bearing and timber trees. (the Year 2009-10)
- Worked with organic farmers and farmer groups across Tamilnadu to promote their toxic-free produce in urban markets, ensuring a fair price. The total value of produce sold is INR Two crores. (From the year 2012 - 2018)
- Promoting Local production and local consumption concept in all the farmer groups worked. Also promoting safe food, naturopathy and food as medicine among patients and the community.
Challenges faced and success obtained:
To make people understand the value of the environment is the biggest challenge. When we plan a house construction or a tour or any activity, we don't keep environmental sustainability in our agenda. It's not given less priority, but it's not at all present in the list. When we try to find out the real cause of this, it leads to a lack of understanding of the value of the environment.
During CBED work and farmer group work, we understood the strength of community involvement in preserving the local environment. Success in such works is attained as a group, as people need continuous education and guidance to make things happen in the right way!
Present Designation and roles:
- Founder Trustee, 'SEA Movement' a not for profit trust working in Environmental development. For more details please visit https://seamovement.org/
- Founder, HUMUS, an Agriculture consulting social enterprise which provides Techno-managerial service to the upcoming new age farmers and new market development for safe food produce.
- Coordinator, 'Planet Blue', an open forum for social enterprises, which works to bring more people into the sustainable development industry. (planetblue.org.in)
We see a lot of problems every day, from personal to the global level. Global warming, floods and droughts, Environmental degradation, Dropping Bio-diversity, Deforestation, Topsoil loss, Poor soil health, Malnutrition, New ailments, Economic downfall, Debts, Poverty, Insecurity, Conflicts, Wars, Rapid urbanization, Poor quality of life, Soaring Self obsession and stress levels and Lower Human values.
Globalisation is the major cause of all the problems we face today. Globalisation accelerates climate change, creates conflicts and competition among individuals and countries, lead to all the unhappiness and inequality. Lack of understanding in human consciousness is the core problem.
Localisation is the actual solution! Local produce, local food, local livelihoods and the local economy will save us from all the pain which we are all undergoing now. As we develop solutions in these lines, the situation becomes more conducive for human consciousness to evolve towards a better understanding. Right understanding is the ultimate solution!
Farming and farming based livelihoods should be developed so that rural community stays in rural areas happily and they don't have to move to urban areas in search of better livelihood. Developing urban-rural balance will bring some real difference in the quality of everyone's life.
Connecting the problems in food, health, economy, environment and biodiversity, with the real cause globalisation, we will be able to draw better solutions intact. Right education should lead us to collective responsibility and such holistic solutions are the need of the hour.
What should we do?
We should introduce the sustainability component in existing projects and programs of established organizations, institutions and NGOs, to make their effort more fruitful. Strategies should be formed to work on the real cause of the problems instead of the effects we see. For instance, if an NGO is working in Healthcare, we can guide them to focus more on preventive health care instead of supporting surgery cost. If an organization is working in Education, we suggest them to focus on value education and traditional wisdom. If a tribal person gets a degree and moves to the urban area looking for a job, is it a good education?
Climate change is real and its effects are increasing every day. We must include the idea of sustainability in all our efforts and plans to develop strategies which can be used for adapting the effects of climate change and mitigate further emissions.
What should be our Priority?
- Inclusion of sustainability in all walks of life.
- Climate emergency should be given more focus among communities, NGOs and Government departments.
- Access to safe and nutritious food, affordable to all especially in schools, hospitals and public places.
- Farmer groups and farmer producer companies should be connected directly to the market and should ensure a fair price to farmers produce.
- Nurturing of rare trees and to develop nurseries to increase green cover.
- Implementation of Rainwater harvesting in all buildings and Agriculture farms to maintain the groundwater table.
- 'Back to the village' community living models to move away from the urban area.
- Conservation of Traditional wisdom and skills in Agriculture, Healthcare, Lifestyle, Nature protection and sustainable wellbeing.
- Inculcate children that we are part of nature and make them understand the problems of consumerism. Value education is the key!
- To make people work on the real cause of a problem instead of the effects we see. Nobody's effort should go vain.
- 'Self-reliance', 'Inherent ethics, 'Self-sufficiency' is the mantra we should promote. (?????????, ???????, ?????????)
My immediate work plan:
- To run 'Planet Blue', a social enterprises forum to encourage more people to come into the sustainable development industry.
- To include the idea of sustainability in CSR projects of corporate houses based at Chennai and Tamilnadu.
- To organize farmers' cooperative market in Chennai, where consumers can buy at the farm gate price. This cooperative will also supply to regular markets, schools, hospitals and Government institutions.
- To work with Karur moringa and vegetables farmer producer company, Karur, on a clinical study to make their Moringa products get validated, helping 500 small and marginal farmers to get a fair price for their produce.
- To work with farmer consumer federation in Dindigul district where more organic farmers are in need to meet the market demand.
- To work with Thai Mann Traditional Agri related producer company, Thiruvarur in promoting their rural livelihood products in Urban markets.
- To develop a community farming model for all including special children near Arani and Tiruvannamalai.
- To develop skills for vigilance home women to meet the rising demand in urban environmental works. And to expand the work in all homes and campuses with the help of trained women.
- To organize a media interview with young CEOS of Farmer producer companies to display the career choices in this field.
- To arrange a brainstorming session with senior field workers, consumer groups, farmer groups and other stakeholders for better understanding.
What changes we can see after three years? :
Three years is a good time to create some visible projects and awareness about the need for sustainability. After three years of our process, more people will be working in the sustainable development arena. Jobs and social enterprises will be created to address environmental challenges.
A lot of models will be in display for people to see and learn and improve things. From eco-friendly housing to rural enterprise, youngsters could see many choices in functioning mode and that will be useful for them to shape their future.
Milestones in the three year period:
- Make communication to all known stakeholders about this three-year plan.
- Identify more institutions and groups where we can include sustainability in their process. Connect with existing field workers and mentors.
- Keep Presentation ready in different formats for different stakeholders.
- Planet Blue Forum website should be up and running to engage members.
- Partner with FPCs, NGOs, Institutions, Govt. depts and Community groups.
- Promote Planet Blue forum among all partners and stakeholders.
- Arrange consultation meetings with relevant groups and field workers.
- Bring in new entrepreneurs to develop social enterprises.
- Avail office space in any one of the social enterprise space started new.
- Farmers' cooperative and skilled manpower enterprises are the first two enterprises to start with new entrepreneurs.
- Develop a training module for the inclusion of Sustainability.
- Successful Rural livelihood models should be displayed for urban dwellers.
- Social enterprises event to create awareness of new opportunities.
- Sustainable choices for individuals and businesses to be listed and promoted through the planet blue forum.
- Documentation of traditional wisdom and best practices should be developed and displayed.
- Increase team size and reach more communities.
- Create or identify more fellowship opportunities for field workers who work in sustainable development.
- Enterprises created should self sustain. Training and follow up mechanisms to be shared.
Instead of asking for a consulting fee from community, farmers and organizations with whom I work, I plan to give them my time and effort as a gift. Based on my previous experience, working without expecting any remuneration from the direct beneficiaries yields better results.
How will I sustain then? That's where there is a need for this fellowship model that I have conceived. I request people and institutions who understand the need for my work to support me financially for a period of three years consecutively, on a monthly basis. We will share the progress of work through a common portal which everyone can access and give suggestions. You may decide an amount, as a monthly contribution, which you will be able to share with me for the next three years. Enroll yourself today in this epic journey of Sustainability!
How will I sustain after the completion of this fellowship in three years?
As we develop creative solutions and social enterprises, we get more visibility to the sustainable development industry. More work and partners will develop based on the results we make. Similar support may extend from a new group to continue our work in other locations. In the three year process, a lot of things will happen and lead to new plans. At present, one of the plans is to develop our family farm to generate income for our sustenance. As it's a never-ending journey, our work should be continuous irrespective of circumstances.
Here is the NEFT detail:
Account holder's name: S.Radhakrishnan
Account number: 428010100223263
Axis Bank, Tambaram branch, Chennai, India
Steps to make recurring payment through NEFT
Step 1: Login into your Bank website or Mobile app.
Step 2: Go to "Fund Transfer" or "Transfer" page
Step 3: Add "S.Radhakrishnan" as NEFT beneficiary (Details above)
Step 4: When making NEFT transfer, choose "Schedule payment" or "Recurring payment" (Depends upon your banking website)
Step 5: Enter your monthly contribution amount.
Step 6: Choose suitable "Payment Date", "Payment Frequency" as Monthly and "Number of Payments" as 36.
Step 7: Review the details and hit "Submit".
Kindly send a message or email mentioning your name and details of contribution. We shall update in the portal.
Cost of Travel, Food and Accommodation are estimated as Rs.20000 per month.
Cost of Compensation required is Rs.50000 per month.
Contributors will be listed at the end of this page. If we reach excess funds more than above mentioned, it could be used to support another team member to expand the work. We shall discuss and decide accordingly.
Join our Whatsapp group for my regular work updates: https://chat.whatsapp.com/GBo8TcrJvi3HsG2sfsulua